"The goal in life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the Universe, to match your nature with Nature."
- Joseph Campbell

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Remembering 9/11: A hamster's perspective

Cubby Checkers
Kazzie-Roo
The morning of Septemeber 11, 2001 started normally for all of us.  I was working as an American Sign Language Interpreter at a middle school.  And as usual, I turned the radio on before I left for school as background music for the cats, birds, hamsters, rabbits and fish.  We were notified about the first plane hitting the Twin Towers during homeroom. As I watched in horror, my thoughts went home.  The radio was broadcasting this.  It was on all day, I couldn't get home after 3.

When I got home, I immediately turned off the radio, apologized deeply for having the radio on all day.  The energy in the house was heavy.  I shooed the cats outside and did as much as I could to clean the energy.  It wasn't until Poindexter, my only hamster at the time, started losing his fur did I understand how much this event affected everyone and thing.  Not only was it the day of the attacks, but the weeks that followed that impacted him.  One couldn't get away from the images - it was on TV day and night even though I found other stations to watch.  It was in the air.  
As Poindexter became what I called my Shar-pei hamster (he truly lost all of his fur), I wondered if he could tell me his opinion of what happened, how deeply he had felt it.  We didn't live in New York City, we lived and still live in the Midwest.  Could that event 2 hours away really have affected him so much?
I have found that when you ask something most likely you will get an answer.  I did a writing with him and this is what he had to say (his words are in italics, a clarification is in normal text):                                9/27/01  5:12pm

Hi. My name is Poindexter and I am a hamster.  People don’t think of us as thinking, feeling beings but we are very sensitive to those around us and the vibrations close to the earth.
The day the planes went into the buildings the earth shook.  Not only in that area of the world, but all over.
Why? We all ask why?  How do people do this to each other, knowing that it not only affects them but all around them?  Did anyone think of the mice, birds and other creatures living within those buildings?  Did anyone think that not only people died, but an entire eco-system was damaged?
Doesn’t anyone understand the impact of those things to all who inhibit the world?

I listen to the news while I sleep.  I can’t help it; the TV is close to my cage.  The news names names of people no one knows (the names of those who did the attacks)– yet it is all of the people doing this to each other.  Names will not help dissipate the anger, hurt and betrayal.  Because it is not the names who are doing this.
Look deep into your heart – what are your responses when you are angry, hurt or betrayed?  What do your actions do to those close to you?  Is it helpful or harmful?

Where do you go from here?  What is your next step?  Will you separate yourselves further from all who live with you or will you come together to understand that one action to another affects all; not just humans?
I ask you to stop the demolition.  Not only of your species, but of earth itself.  Learn to live within your boundaries.  Accept that you are not the only ones here on earth.  Stop the polluting and chemical warfare you are already doing with those you deem lesser than yourselves.  For if you can do warfare that way with us and not feel our pain – what makes you think you can’t do it to each other?
Came together, think before you speak or act harshly to each other or us.  We are all here together.  Can’t we figure out a way to live with each other in respect?

That’s all I have to say.  Thank you for listening.

Poindexter died April 12, 2002.  He was vibrant and lively up to his death, and bald. His fur never grew back.    And I'm sorry I don't have a picture of him, but he didn't want his picture taken.  
Love you Poindexter; my one and only Shar-pei Hammie.




If you'd like to post a comment, please do so.  If you'd like to submit a story yourself please email me. And if you'd like to subscribe through email, you'll find the link below the comments section.
As always thanks so much for visiting.  Hope to see you again.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Poindexter for your words and spirit and thank you Julie for sharing this poignant moment. We must all remember to look forward with love and hope ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sad thing is that most people will never believe just how close to everything animals are. Just how intelligent and all knowing animals are. Humans are truly the lesser of all creatures on this earth. We just do not understand what it's all about!!! How beautiful this planet would be without humans!

    ReplyDelete